Thursday, June 21, 2007

Let the Chemo Begin

Tuesday morning was the beginning of chemo. Instead of just giving me some pills, they handed us the entire dispensary to take home! (See the picture of me outside the Oncology dept) So much has happened since then and we have been backwards & forwards to Constantiaberg hospital daily for radium therapy which doesn't hurt, but makes me feel (and look) a lot like Hannibal Lector. Having to be stapped in so that i can't move my head at all. With the mask they have fitted me with, I must look pretty scary. The first day was a big learning curve for us as we were told to experiment and see what the best time of the day suited me to take the chemo capsules. I took them early on day two (wednesday) ...... big mistake! I thought was done for but hey, I'm still here! Things have got a lot better since then and I have felt a lot less nausia and thursday was much easier, so things are looking up and I had a constant stream of visitors coming to wish me well. Gayle gave me a foot massage and Hannah gave me reike which made me feel very pampered. Today, (friday) is the end (briefly) of radiotherapy for the week but the chemo continues throughout the weekend. I fall asleep at the drop of a hat but I'm told the way through all this is lots of naps. I love hearing from you all so much and it really makes my day. Thank you for your love and good wishes. xxx

No comments: